• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim non-related children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sonata

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I have been supporting my girlfriend and her child completely for the last six years - is there any way I can claim the child on my income taxes? We are not married, but I pay all the bills, buy his clothes and food, school supplies, etc.

abezon

You can file as head of household IF he qualifies as your dependent. You have to be paying over 50% of his support & he has to live with you all year. His support consists of whatever his mother contributes, whatever his father contributes via CP of directly, any state benefits mom gets, & whatever you contribute. You cannot claim a child tax credit or earned income credit for him, but you can claim him as a dependent & file as head of household. Be prepared to show you supported him.

You can claim your GF as a dependent if you pay over 50% of her support, her gross income is less than $3100, she lived with you all year, & she is not filing a joint return with anyone else.

Next year you will not be able to file as head of household or claim the boy as a dependent, due to tax law changes. You'll still be able to claim your GF as a dependent.

You can amend your last 3 years' returns (2001-2003) to change your dependents & filing status. Pay someone to do it -- the 1040X is too complicated for a layman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">