• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming child on taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scuba dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My ex and I have shared parenting. On the divorce decree it states we each get to claim our child every other year. My only income is SSDI and child support. I did not think there was any benefit to even filling a tax return let alone claiming my son. I was on the phone with medicare and was told I should file and claim my son. What if any part would he qualify under? should I file state as well?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My ex and I have shared parenting. On the divorce decree it states we each get to claim our child every other year. My only income is SSDI and child support. I did not think there was any benefit to even filling a tax return let alone claiming my son. I was on the phone with medicare and was told I should file and claim my son. What if any part would he qualify under? should I file state as well?
If your only income is SSDI and child support then there is absolutely no reason to file a tax return...and claiming your son would just waste his exemption. I don't know why someone at medicare would say any differently.

scuba dad

That is what I thought and allowed her to claim him the last 4 years. I guess my only issue left would be the divorce decree saying see needs to bring me a copy of an IRS form (i do not remember which one off the top of my head), to obtain or sons 1099 for his income from my disability. She has never done that and yet she has claimed him but not filled his 1099.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The monies received from Social Security for your son's benefit is NOT taxable income to mom, therefore, she does not have to claim it.

LdiJ

The monies received from Social Security for your son's benefit is NOT taxable income to mom, therefore, she does not have to claim it.
Nor would your son have to claim the income unless your son happened to have a high amount of income from another source.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">