• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Dependants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beatrix

I am divorced (1999) and have two children.My home state in Minnesota. In our devorce decree my former spouse and myself agreed that each one of us would claim 1 child for tax purposes. This has occurred without problems until taxyear 2008. This year , without any notice, my former spouse claimed both children leading to a rejection of my efiled return. One of my children has lived with me 7 months of the year, so it is clear that I can claim him.
My former spouse is advising me that she will file a 1040X for the previous years to claim both children rather than just the one that claimed as agreed upon in the decree. The children lived more than 50 % of the year with her in those years. Do I have to be worried that I have to repay for those years, even if we both filed according to what we had agreed upon in our divorce ?
In other words, if my former spouse files 1040X's for 2007,2006 and 2005 to claim a dependant that according the devorce decree I could claim, will the IRS look at "time spent with parent" or at the divorce decree ?

Last edited:

davew128

Absent attaching a signed Form 8332 stating otherwise, time spent with parent is always the test. The IRS does not care about nor is it bound by your divorce agreement.

LdiJ

Absent attaching a signed Form 8332 stating otherwise, time spent with parent is always the test. The IRS does not care about nor is it bound by your divorce agreement.
I agree. However, in that case your recourse would be with the state court judge, to file contempt against your spouse for violating the divorce decree.

Beatrix

How many years back can my spouse refile income taxes (and change dependants)? Would I have to pay interest etc ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">