• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming dependents on 2004 Federal & State taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckenney

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am a divorcee. I recently prepared my 19 year old (DOB: 11-17-1985) son's taxes for 2004. In my e-mail today I was notified by the IRS that someone had already claimed my son as a dependent on their taxes (my ex-husband did). My son did live with my ex-husband most of the year, however my son earned $7,600.00 in 2004. From what I am reading on this subject, he CANNOT claim my son as a dependent since he was 19 before the end of the year and he earned over $3,100.00 during the 2004 tax year. Am I correct that my ex-husband is wrong in claiming my son on his taxes and keeping the money that my son should get? If I am correct and my ex-husband filed his taxes incorrectly, what can I do about getting this matter corrected? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Snipes5

I'm assuming your son wasn't a full time student for at least 5 months of the year.

You will have to file your son's return on paper rather than efile.

Prepare the return for mailing, and attach a statement indicating that your son's return was attempted to be efiled, and was rejected, and give the reason.

Also indicate that your son earned more than $3100 and was not a student, and is therefore entitled to his own exemption.

The IRS will take care of the rest.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">