• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

labolieu

What is the name of your state?Washington: I am a care provider, and care for two people in my own home. They live with me. They both need 24 hour care. Can I claim them as dependents on my income tax? They both receive social security as their income, and nothing else. They pay me from their Social Security money. If I can, How do I do it?

abezon

Actually, you probably can. Get a copy of Pub 17 at the library/post office & read through the 5 dependency tests. If they meet all 5 tests, you can claim them. Social security is not considered for gross income purposes but it is condsidered money they contributed towards their own support, so you'll have to figure out how much you contribute. If it's close, you should consult with a tax pro to make sure you can really claim them (& to get the tax pro's guarantee).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">