• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadof4il

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
Attempted to file return today only to find out that my ex has already claimed child as a dependent on their return. We have an agreement in place that states who will claim child each year. This is my year. What should I do?

FlyingRon

You'll have to paper file.

The IRS will kick out an automated computer letter and a 1040X to both of you offering to allow one of you to correct the discrepancy. If neither of you do in the time alloted, they'll start to figure out which of you is the one who is responsible for erroneously declaring the exemption.

Did you contact your ex about why he did that?

dadof4il

Yes, he told me his accountant told him he could...this is first time that this has been done in 9 years, so I am thinking he needs a new accountant.
this discrepancy is costing me approximately $900.

dadof4il

One more question....I am assuming that since who claims the child and when is included in our court order agreement that what it says goes???

TinkerBelleLuvr

Yes, he told me his accountant told him he could...this is first time that this has been done in 9 years, so I am thinking he needs a new accountant.
this discrepancy is costing me approximately $900.
File your paper return claiming the child (if that is what your court order says). It'll just take a little longer to get the refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">