• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming equity payment to ex as alimony, seems to fit the alimony rules!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

"Regardless of the provision of any other code section, a transfer of property incident to a divorce settlement shall be a nontaxable transaction" or something pretty close to it.
Since a divorce settlement can include alimony and since alimony is a transfer incident to a divorce settlement, is alimony taxable?

C'mon davew128, when there is no debate on the issue, why muddy the waters? Have you submitted all your e-file's already?

davew128

Since a divorce settlement can include alimony and since alimony is a transfer incident to a divorce settlement, is alimony taxable?
Cash is not property for purposes of that section ;)

C'mon davew128, when there is no debate on the issue, why muddy the waters? Have you submitted all your e-file's already?
No. But my staff person will be shortly. :D

tranquility

Although everyone not in is extended, if the paper hits the door in the next 12 minutes, I'll submit it. Tomorrow is the oddest day of the year. I have a ton of stuff on the do-it-later-I-have-a-deadline pile, I know I'm not really going to be very motivated to do it. I think I'll bring in my dog and walk her every hour.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">