• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Girlfriend's children + Medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mutt606

The state is VA if it matters.

My girlfriend and her children have been living with me for almost 2 years. I am the sole supporter of her and her children. Can I claim the her children as dependents. Of course she won't claim them if I can. Also, because she makes so little money they are on Medicaid. Will claiming them as dependents (if I can) change their Medicaid status? Their free insurance is worth much more than a couple grand of tax refund!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

My girlfriend and her children have been living with me for almost 2 years. I am the sole supporter of her and her children. Can I claim the her children as dependents. Of course she won't claim them if I can. Also, because she makes so little money they are on Medicaid. Will claiming them as dependents (if I can) change their Medicaid status? Their free insurance is worth much more than a couple grand of tax refund!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Looks like you need to change this statement as it is not true. The State of Virginia and you both support her and her children.

LdiJ

Yes, it could very well change their status for medicaid purposes. You also will not get a couple of grand if you claim them. Since they are not related to you, you are not eligible for EIC or the child tax credit, you are only eligible for the exemption. Therefore you would only get between 350-875 per child, depending on your income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">