• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming to go to a different college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainbowpigs

So this is how the story goes...

After high school I got into a state university but then I ended up doing so poorly, they had to boot me out at the end of the school year. At the start of the following year, I applied to a community college and I've been going there as a full time student ever since and still am today. I'm trying my best right now to get back into the university, hopefully by the end of this year.

Today my parents asked for my 1098T form to start filing taxes, but I couldn't give it to them because I didn't have. I was speaking to an agent on the phone who was helping my parents file their taxes. The agent asked me to provide evidence (1098T or class schedule for the 2013 year) to prove that I was at least a half time student (box 8 on 1098T). The agent did not really care about my tuition, scholarships, or how much I paid out of pocket (box 2 & 5 on 1098T form). Over the years that I spent going to the community college, I did not have to spend a single dime on my tuition since everything was covered by FASFA. My guess is they're trying to file for the American Opportunity Tax Credit or the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. I told them I'd get it for them before the end of the week. I told them that I was still going to the same university because I didn't want them finding out and I didn't want to get in trouble.

In the previous year of 2012, I didn't have to provide my 1098T so why are they asking for it now? I still told them that I went to the same state university and I didn't have to provide them with anything regarding information on my tuition or where I was going for school.

So my question is - is there anyway for me to get away with this without telling my parents the truth? When parents are filing taxes, are they required to mention what college/university their child is going to? Or do they just check off on whether their child is going to a college/university or not? Can I say that I still go to the same state university and use the 1098T form or class schedule from the community college to file for the taxes? I really don't want my parents finding out that I dropped out of the university. I'm trying my best to redeem myself and get back into the university and graduate on time.

Would this be considered as committing fraud? I mean I'm still going to college and I'm not lying about it... Just that I'm not going to the one I'm claiming to go to.

I'm really desperate for help right now. I could use some suggestions or advice for this. Thanks

OHRoadwarrior

Stop lying to your parents. Tell the tax preparer the truth. You are not the first and will not be the last to hit college before maturity. Having the wisdom to use the rules of the system to meet the ultimate goal is a good thing. You do not want to get mom n dad in hot water over a small matter of pride. Just like when you get your license and promptly go out and wreck the family car, this happens.

LdiJ

So this is how the story goes...

After high school I got into a state university but then I ended up doing so poorly, they had to boot me out at the end of the school year. At the start of the following year, I applied to a community college and I've been going there as a full time student ever since and still am today. I'm trying my best right now to get back into the university, hopefully by the end of this year.

Today my parents asked for my 1098T form to start filing taxes, but I couldn't give it to them because I didn't have. I was speaking to an agent on the phone who was helping my parents file their taxes. The agent asked me to provide evidence (1098T or class schedule for the 2013 year) to prove that I was at least a half time student (box 8 on 1098T). The agent did not really care about my tuition, scholarships, or how much I paid out of pocket (box 2 & 5 on 1098T form). Over the years that I spent going to the community college, I did not have to spend a single dime on my tuition since everything was covered by FASFA. My guess is they're trying to file for the American Opportunity Tax Credit or the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. I told them I'd get it for them before the end of the week. I told them that I was still going to the same university because I didn't want them finding out and I didn't want to get in trouble.

In the previous year of 2012, I didn't have to provide my 1098T so why are they asking for it now? I still told them that I went to the same state university and I didn't have to provide them with anything regarding information on my tuition or where I was going for school.

So my question is - is there anyway for me to get away with this without telling my parents the truth? When parents are filing taxes, are they required to mention what college/university their child is going to? Or do they just check off on whether their child is going to a college/university or not? Can I say that I still go to the same state university and use the 1098T form or class schedule from the community college to file for the taxes? I really don't want my parents finding out that I dropped out of the university. I'm trying my best to redeem myself and get back into the university and graduate on time.

Would this be considered as committing fraud? I mean I'm still going to college and I'm not lying about it... Just that I'm not going to the one I'm claiming to go to.

I'm really desperate for help right now. I could use some suggestions or advice for this. Thanks
You have seriously messed up your parents...and its going to cost them big time.

2012 was the first year that the IRS started requiring that the school be identified on tax returns. If they identified the wrong school on the tax return then sometime around this spring/summer the IRS is going to question their 2012 tax return and deny the education credit. They will then not only be required to produce the actual 1098-T to get out of the mess, they will also have to produce your bursar records as well.

If you cause them to compound the problem by giving them the same incorrect information for 2013, then they will have to go through the mess again. Put on your big boy/big girl pants right now and cough up the documents for both years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">