• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming prior year purchases?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pauly99

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I just started a new photography business (2005) and am in the process of getting my business license (putting the assumed name in the paper for 3 weeks). Last year I made a hundred dollars or so by taking pictures for friends and family.... although the business was not legally setup. In the past several years, I have been accumulating quite a bit of equipment (maybe around $6000 or so... I have all receipts) but have not claimed any type of deduction for the purchases of cameras, lenses, tripod, lighting equipment, etc... Can I claim and if so, how do I claim past purchases for 2004 or 2005? Am I limited in the amount that I can claim (ie up to the amount that I made in 2004... about $100)? Any advice would be much appreciated. I will seek the advice of a CPA for next years taxes after I change my business to an LLC.

Kansas4me

Seek the advice of a CPA now. This is to complicated to get into on a forum, and you couldn't possible provide all the info someone would need to advice your properly. Save yourself a huge headache and find a good CPA to advice you NOW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">