• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

classification changed by IRS in 2014.. Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harleywld1

North Carolina;
I filed my taxes as an independent contractor via 1099misc. taking self employed deductions. After waiting two years the IRS has finally determined I was an employee from 2008 - 2011 via SS-8 form.I may need to amend my previous filings but a lot of time has passed. Also how can I amend to an employee if I was not given a corrected W-2, I only have the original 1099's? f I do file amended forms how do I know what amounts the company should have paid in? also I lost a lot of Social Security that the employer should have paid in not to mention unemployment insurance, when I was terminated from the job in 2011 I was not able to collect unemployment.

FlyingRon

You don't need to wait for an W-2. You can amend your previous returns with a form 8919 to get credit for the parts of the tax that should have been handled by your employer. Alas you've waited too long for the earlier years and you need to get on the stick for the last year.

davew128

If you didn't owe tax for the older years (2010-older) then its too late to amend and get money back now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">