• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado Tax Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sudofdisk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I am going to be garnished for back taxes that I owe. I am not disputing that I owe, just trying to prepare for the storm. I am trying to figure out how much the will withhold. I found this online but I am still confused:

25% of your disposable income* if it’s greater than $262 ($290 after July 24, 2009).
Any amount greater than 30 times the federal minimum wage: $196.50 ($217.50 after July 24, 2009).

These limits don't apply to garnishments for unpaid tax debts, bankruptcy court orders, child or spousal support, or voluntary wage assignments.

For child and spousal support payments, up to 50% can be garnished if you have another child or spouse to support. Otherwise, you could be garnished up to 60%. If you have to pay more than 12 weeks of back payments, you could be garnished an additional 5%.

Federal agencies can garnish up to 15% and the Department of Education can garnish 10%.

So it seems like I can be garnished 25% of gross, but it is a tax debt... but this doesn't give a different limit for a state tax debt...

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">