• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compensatory Damages - House destroyed by foreign government in a foreign country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socbu01

My house was destroyed by a local government/town in a foreign county. If I win a lawsuit against the town and I'm reimbursed for my house with the interest since the lawsuit was started, would I have have to report this as an income and pay taxes on this reimbursement?

Would this be considered a compensatory damages since this is loss of capital assets? Are these "Special Damages" or "Actual Damages"?

Thanks.

tranquility

Insurance or other compensation for loss is not "income". If you are only paid for your loss, it is unlikely you have a tax issue.

HomeGuru

My house was destroyed by a local government/town in a foreign county. If I win a lawsuit against the town and I'm reimbursed for my house with the interest since the lawsuit was started, would I have have to report this as an income and pay taxes on this reimbursement?

Would this be considered a compensatory damages since this is loss of capital assets? Are these "Special Damages" or "Actual Damages"?

Thanks.
**A: I sure hope it was not a rocket or bomb that did it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">