• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Computer parts as business expense SEC 179? Also state use tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wad2k2

Built own computer for my business. How do I deduct as expense? Also state use tax?

What is the name of your state?NY

Hi, Along with my regualr employment, I run a part time home based pro video sales business. In Dec. of 2004 I purchased computer parts to build my own system which is being used 100% exclusively for the business.
I have two questions:
1:Where under business expenses do I put these parts? If under Sec 179 do I have to list each part I purchased separately or can I add them up and simply call it "computer"?

2:I purchased most of the parts online and did not pay sales tax. Since I live in NY, I am required to pay/report sales/use tax(8.25%) for out of state purchases on my state return. The sales tax that I owe the state for the PC parts only amounts to around $60, but it is a sales tax on a purchase made for the business therefor it would be considered a business expense. So where on my federal/state returns would I deduct the $60 as a business expense?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">