• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo rental-establishing basis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Renee456

I acquired a condo which I am now renting. Therefore, I need to establish my basis for depreciation purposes (i.e., the value of "land" and the value of "improvements"). My cpa told me that in a condo you don't own the land so the value is zero. But when I found out that he was wrong on a number of other issues, I questioned this & starting asking around. Long story short the answers were: (1) zero land value; (2) you own a portion of common elements which includes land & buildings, so multiply the condo association's land & building value by the percentage I own (.71%) for "land value"; (3) just take the tax assessor's apportionment (50-50). I have read the IRS's materials and they do not address this issue. Since I plan to rent this property for a long time, I want to make sure I get this right (as I can only go back and amend 3 years for any deductions).

tranquility

Basis is a very fact specific factual issue. You need to see a tax professional to help you determine. You have not given enough facts to determine *your* basis.

Renee456

I agree that basis is a very fact-specific issue. And I have hired a cpa. All the relevant issues have been discussed and resolved up to this point. I have had an appraisal done to establish FMV on DOD. The last hurdle is allocation of this basis number of $200,000 into "land" or "improvements". My question is this: Does a condo owner own land? My cpa said No. So, in my case, "land" should be $0 and "imrovements" should be $200,000. I am not so sure. That's why I am posting the question here. If a condo owner does own "land" then I go from there as indicated above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">