• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Construction Worker working out of State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gringacho

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I am a resident of the state of Georgia and took a new job with a company based in Tennessee (no state income tax) in June 2008. I am in the construction management business and relocate every 1-2 years. I have been working 100% of my time since June 2008 in their office in TN and only paying federal income taxes out of my bi-weekly pay check since June.

We were scheduled to relocate from the TN office to a jobsite and establish residency in a new state, yet things fell through with the economy and I have stayed in TN working and receiving reimbursement for 100% expenses for temporary living. This is not a montly per diem, it is an expense check I receive for my weekly housing and food expenses.

We also don't own a home in Georgia, my wife and I are simply using my parents address there to register cars and receive mail until we relocate from Knoxville to a 1-2 year construction job.

Question: Will I have to write a check in April to pay 6 months taxes to the state of Georgia (June - Dec 2008) since I have been living and working in Knoxville, TN? Or is there a way to avoid the state income tax since I have been working and "temporarily" living in a state where there are no taxes?

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I am a resident of the state of Georgia and took a new job with a company based in Tennessee (no state income tax) in June 2008. I am in the construction management business and relocate every 1-2 years. I have been working 100% of my time since June 2008 in their office in TN and only paying federal income taxes out of my bi-weekly pay check since June.

We were scheduled to relocate from the TN office to a jobsite and establish residency in a new state, yet things fell through with the economy and I have stayed in TN working and receiving reimbursement for 100% expenses for temporary living. This is not a montly per diem, it is an expense check I receive for my weekly housing and food expenses.

We also don't own a home in Georgia, my wife and I are simply using my parents address there to register cars and receive mail until we relocate from Knoxville to a 1-2 year construction job.

Question: Will I have to write a check in April to pay 6 months taxes to the state of Georgia (June - Dec 2008) since I have been living and working in Knoxville, TN? Or is there a way to avoid the state income tax since I have been working and "temporarily" living in a state where there are no taxes?
Georgia may very well have the right to claim that you are still a resident of GA and a non-resident of TN for tax purposes. Your car registration and mail going to GA could make the claim that the TN job is only a temporary absense from home.

In addition, the expenses that you are receiving would be taxable income if you were a resident of TN, but non taxable if the TN job is temporary. Therefore you have a "catch-22".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">