• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contest Prize Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpeac999

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
My school has entered a national contest and have been informed we are in the finals. I understand that we are responsible for taxes if we win. Can you tell me - if we collect donations to pay the taxes, are we liable to pay taxes on the donations? Is there a limit to the amount any one person can donate? Is there a limit to the amount of donation we can receive before we are liable to pay taxes? OR do we EVER have to pay taxes on any donation? I know we don't pay taxes on grants we receive. Do donations fall into the same category as grants? Do donations have to be given to us 'no strings attached'? Lots of questions!!! Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
My school has entered a national contest and have been informed we are in the finals. I understand that we are responsible for taxes if we win. Can you tell me - if we collect donations to pay the taxes, are we liable to pay taxes on the donations? Is there a limit to the amount any one person can donate? Is there a limit to the amount of donation we can receive before we are liable to pay taxes? OR do we EVER have to pay taxes on any donation? I know we don't pay taxes on grants we receive. Do donations fall into the same category as grants? Do donations have to be given to us 'no strings attached'? Lots of questions!!! Thanks!
Does the prize go to the school, or to the individual students that win the prize, or to an organization within the school, such as the PTA, Band, Choir etc.

What is the prize?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">