• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cost basis for exercising survivor's option on bonds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

retireeneedhelp

A relative of mine is recently deceased. He had a number of bonds that has a survivor's option (payable at par upon death). He purchased them at 80 a few years ago. I've been told that I need to leave them in his current family trust account without changing the SSN or trustee in order to be able to exercise the survivor's option.

I'd like to know how one handles the cost step-up basis for this situation.

1) Is the increase from 80 to 100% attributable to capital gains on his original SSN?
2) Is the increase from 80 to 100% attributable to capital gains on his a new TIN for the estate?
3) Does the estate get a step-up to 100 (since the value theorectically has increase as of his death but the proceeds haven't yet been paid? This avoid any capital gain tax.

FlyingRon

There's no capital gain until they're sold. The person who sells them has the gain (if any). So if the trust sells them, the trust gets the gain (and pays the tax). If they are distributed to you, you get the gain. The basis does step up for people who died in 2011 (there are involved rules in step up for deaths in 2010 but you may get a step up there as well).

retireeneedhelp

There's no capital gain until they're sold. The person who sells them has the gain (if any). So if the trust sells them, the trust gets the gain (and pays the tax). If they are distributed to you, you get the gain. The basis does step up for people who died in 2011 (there are involved rules in step up for deaths in 2010 but you may get a step up there as well).
What is the cost basis for this situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">