• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CP2000 and missing 1099-Misc income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mackinnond

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Recently received a CP2000 citing 1099-misc income ($4145) not noted on my 2003 return. If this info is correct...pay $1200 more in taxes...

Question is, I don't know whether to fight this (it’s an error, just hard to prove) or just pay the $1200 and not fight "the law". The error is from a small company I used to work for that paid my regular income (still have the w-2s) and reimbursed me for expenses via other deposits, which they must have coded as 1099. I never received a 1099 form from that company and thus never put it on my 2003 tax return. If I don't have any proof that this was reimbursement income...other than the fact that they paid be regular income via a W-2, how to I prove that this wasn't income, but just reimbursement?

Also, interesting twist...that company is being audited very soon and so is not very interested in helping me with a letter of explanation. What should I do? Tax lawyers are expensive (likely close to $1200 anyway) and accountants can only help with receipts...which are with the company on my expense reports. Any suggestions?

Dave
:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">