• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CPA needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jill123

What is the name of your state? California

My situation is that I'm recently divorced am/was the bread winner of the
marriage and provide child support to my ex who has the kids most of the time, doesn't work and has a home from the divorce settlement. I've used turbotax to do my taxes(filed as head-of-hold, claiming kids as dependents), but wonder if I should consult a CPA. This is a new situation for me regarding the filing of taxes and I just wonder if it's best for me to let an expert hand them.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jill123 said:
What is the name of your state? California

My situation is that I'm recently divorced am/was the bread winner of the
marriage and provide child support to my ex who has the kids most of the time, doesn't work and has a home from the divorce settlement. I've used turbotax to do my taxes(filed as head-of-hold, claiming kids as dependents), but wonder if I should consult a CPA. This is a new situation for me regarding the filing of taxes and I just wonder if it's best for me to let an expert hand them.

My response:

Yours is not a legal question; however, you have my permission to have a CPA compile your tax filing.

IAAL

Snipes5

If the kids did not live with you for at least 6 months of the year, you can't file HOH, you have to file Single.

You can claim the exemptions, but you need a signed form 8332 from the custodial parent.

A CPA isn't necessarily an expert in taxation, but an Enrolled Agent is more likely to be.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">