• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit cards and points and sales tax (michigan)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtjumper

(Michigan)
If I use points I earned on my credit card to pay for part of an item that I bought online, do I pay sales tax on the whole price or just the part I paid in cash?
I already know Michigan does not count credit points as income, but rather as rebates. However, I have no idea what this means for sales tax.

justalayman

You pay sales tax on whatever price the seller sells the item for. Unless it is arranged somehow that the seller discounts the price due to the points, it does not alter the actual sales price and that is what taxes must be paid on. The only issue here is the fact the credit card company would be tossing in some of the money but you are still the purchaser.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">