• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit for disability? Dyslexia?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hvyhttr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My son 7 year old sone was recently diagnosed with a severe case of dyslexia. Does this count as a disability? He will be attending a school specifically for children with dyslexia. Is there any kind of tax credit or break that we can recieve for the $12k/year tuition or his tutoring? Thank you.

David

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My son 7 year old sone was recently diagnosed with a severe case of dyslexia. Does this count as a disability? He will be attending a school specifically for children with dyslexia. Is there any kind of tax credit or break that we can recieve for the $12k/year tuition or his tutoring? Thank you.

David
You need to research the help that is available to you from the school district, et al. under AB3632. You should be paying for a specialized school...the district should.

hvyhttr

I hear what you are saying. We have gone to a private psychologist for the diagnosis. The school refuses to recognize the diagnosis and they want to do response to intervetions (stalling) for the next 36 school weeks before actually helping him. The psychologist recommended immediately pulling him out of the school system and home-schooling him, or send him to this special school we have identified. She says he is showing severe depression and his self-esteem will possibly be irrepairable if we leave him in his school for that 36 weeks...this was all stated in the diagnosis report, given to the school...

His teacher kept talking about how much work it would be to do what we were asking him to do...

Isis1

I hear what you are saying. We have gone to a private psychologist for the diagnosis. The school refuses to recognize the diagnosis and they want to do response to intervetions (stalling) for the next 36 school weeks before actually helping him. The psychologist recommended immediately pulling him out of the school system and home-schooling him, or send him to this special school we have identified. She says he is showing severe depression and his self-esteem will possibly be irrepairable if we leave him in his school for that 36 weeks...this was all stated in the diagnosis report, given to the school...

His teacher kept talking about how much work it would be to do what we were asking him to do...
well, too bad for the teacher. it's about the student! not the teacher.:mad:

have you spoken to the school district?

Zigner

You need to, in WRITING, request a psychoeducational evaluation be done for your child in order to determine his eligibility for special education services. They will not drag this out 36 weeks. They are required to complete the evaluation within prescribed time limits.

hvyhttr

We did talk to the district. They said they do RTI's before completing the testing. The problem that is occuring is that his teacher is giving him assessments that are scored just high enough to not require "special" assistance. Did I mention this teacher's contract has not been renewed for next school-year, and that he knows this...

When we got the diagnosis from the private psychologist, who did complete this testing, and she said the school does not have to even acknowledge her report. She also stated that our district is renowned for stalling when it comes to acknowledging IEP's are necessary.

hvyhttr

I agree that the schools should provide what they are supposed to provide. Here is my dilemna...do I keep him in that school, floundering, permanently damaging him, while I fight the school to prove a point and save some money? Or, do I just do what everyone, except the school district, says is best for hime to make sure he gets what he needs?

I did do some research and found that I may be able to deduct his tuition as a medical expense, per IRS publication 502, as long as it was suggested by the psycholosit as beneficial treatement. Does that sound right? The school is specifically for children with Dyslexia and other learning differences.

Zigner

The school CAN NOT REQUIRE other steps to be taken in lieu of or prior to the testing. You really, really need to look for a local special education advocate. Their services will likely be free to you.

ADDITIONALLY, if you do this right, the district may very well be required to reimburse you for your unilateral decision to remove the child from the school. But, if you do it wrong, you lose all around.

LdiJ

I agree that the schools should provide what they are supposed to provide. Here is my dilemna...do I keep him in that school, floundering, permanently damaging him, while I fight the school to prove a point and save some money? Or, do I just do what everyone, except the school district, says is best for hime to make sure he gets what he needs?

I did do some research and found that I may be able to deduct his tuition as a medical expense, per IRS publication 502, as long as it was suggested by the psycholosit as beneficial treatement. Does that sound right? The school is specifically for children with Dyslexia and other learning differences.
This would be something that you would want to have a tax professional research for you. I would not rely solely on an IRS publication. This is an issue that I have not personally needed to research so I am unwilling to comment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">