• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT cigarette tax bill for on-line purchases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbond44

cigarette tax bill in CT

Hello,

CT DRS got all records of sales after Feds busted that on-line cigarette seller, confiscated their computers, and then share all date with local state Department of Revenue Services. They have pretty prices record of what, when and for how much I purchased.
Does anybody know if it is at all possible to get out of the tax bill or at least have it somehow reduced? I would like more useful advice than just "quit smoking and use money to pay tax bill".

Thank you.

Regards,
George

from the act (http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C10A.txt):

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

The fact that any person ships or delivers for shipment any
cigarettes shall, if such shipment is into a State in which such
person has filed a statement with the tobacco tax administrator
under subsection (a)(1) of this section, be presumptive evidence
(1) that such cigarettes were sold, or transferred for profit, by
such person, and (2) that such sale or transfer was to other than a
distributor licensed by or located in such State.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

There records are not sufficient evidence of who purchased the tobacco; only that it was sold and not to a distributor.

The statement to the administrator will not be admissible w/o testimony from the company who produced the document.

Hence my query to the OP: what proof have they presented you with regarding the tax due? Just their word?

Its up to the OP if they wish to demand proof or not; the CT IRS will not lower the amount.

Smoking & drinking are legal ; I have no anti-smoking garbage to spew.

These records may be available under a FOIA request .. or the agency may not object to their discovery via a FOIA request.

And this assumes a US seller; with an outside-the-US seller now what?

Hello,

CT DRS got all records of sales after Feds busted that on-line cigarette seller, confiscated their computers, and then share all date with local state Department of Revenue Services. They have pretty prices record of what, when and for how much I purchased.
Does anybody know if it is at all possible to get out of the tax bill or at least have it somehow reduced? I would like more useful advice than just "quit smoking and use money to pay tax bill".

Thank you.

Regards,
George
So the Feds busted a company for a felony & then want to use that felon's records to go after you?? The only way to get out of the total bill is to fight it and get it down to zero that way (if you win!). I assume that you have not seen any of this "evidence", correct?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So the Feds busted a company for a felony & then want to use that felon's records to go after you?? The only way to get out of the total bill is to fight it and get it down to zero that way (if you win!). I assume that you have not seen any of this "evidence", correct?
MM - just step back - you are not helping the OP. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

justalayman

Hello,

Thank you.

Regards,
George
what are you looking for? You legally owe the money. Pay the man.

anything else would be un-American.

divona2000

...The post office will not deliver cigarettes anymore...
Yes, they will. Your sweeping statement needs to be qualified...

"...banned from the mail if they do not fit in one of the following exceptions:
Alaska/Hawaii: Shipments entirely within Alaska or Hawaii;
Business/Regulatory Purposes: Shipments transmitted between verified and authorized tobacco industry businesses for business purposes, or between such businesses and federal or state agencies for regulatory purposes;
Certain Individuals: Infrequent, lightweight shipments mailed by age verified adult individuals; and
Consumer Testing/Public Health: Shipments of cigarettes sent by verified and authorized manufacturers to verified adult smokers age 21 and over for consumer testing purposes, and shipments sent by federal agencies to consumers for public health purposes."
USPS - Cigarette & Smokeless Tobacco Mailings

LdiJ

Oh I see, reference a law; I post it; & then you post more of this garbage.

Whats wrong with asking for what proof they have. From 2008??? Who is to say that their records are correct, YOU? I don't think so.

Here, pay me $15,000 ... I'll expect the check shortly? Alrighty then!

You seem to be pretty free with other peoples' money Zipner.
Zig isn't wrong. If a state revenue department decides that someone owes tax, its he11 to make them admit that they are wrong...unless the taxpayer can prove with hard, cold, evidence that they do not owe the tax, or that they have already paid the tax. Since they have a great deal of power to collect on those taxes, they can make life heck for the taxpayer.

As a tax professional, this is something that I battle with great regularity for my clients. Not necessarily the cigarette tax, but other alledgedly unpaid taxes that may date back as much as 20 years or more.

Obviously someone that ordered cigs online is not going to be able to prove that they paid the state tax related to those cigs. So unless its a case of bad records that identify the wrong person (which does sometimes happen) a taxpayer has little recourse but to pay the tax.

Zig isn't wrong. If a state revenue department decides that someone owes tax, its he11 to make them admit that they are wrong...unless the taxpayer can prove with hard, cold, evidence that they do not owe the tax,
Ahem, you cannot prove a negative.

Nobody said anything about proving a negative. One CAN prove they don't owe a tax.
Zizner, go back to sleep now...what you wake up from a dream and just start randomly typing away?

The agency needs to prove that the OP bought the smokes ... I see nothing that proves it...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zizner, go back to sleep now...what you wake up from a dream and just start randomly typing away?

The agency needs to prove that the OP bought the smokes ... I see nothing that proves it...
Head on back to your whole "you can't prove a negative" statement. Stay focused. I know it's hard for you. :rolleyes:

Head on back to your whole "you can't prove a negative" statement. Stay focused. I know it's hard for you. :rolleyes:

Zilner, are you still preoccupied with the rapture? Sounds like your mind has already been raptured.

The agency must PROVE the allegations, the OP does not.

Lets face reality here though .. the OP will pay & not object. The OP does not have the means to fight this and it would not make economic sense since he would need a lawyer.

He has no idea what is coming next .. 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 YR.

He can try to get them to agree that is all he owes and that they forfeit any similar claims but I don't know if the CT IRS will even do that.

This is the reason why I think he needs to fight the 2008 assessment. $1400, how many cartons did he buy, the tax is ~ even assuming a $10/carton tax is due from 2008 ... thats 140 cartons? If he smoked that many, he would be dead!

I'll just ignore MM - maybe he'll fade away. We can only hope.
Hi Zupner,

Still here ! The advice I gave was sound, whats the OP going to do then they do it again for other years?

Records from 2008? When were they actually authored? 2011? You don't know; I don't know; the OP does not know....

Why not find out? I guess facts are not needed for your conclusions (at least that is what most of your postings indicate).

davew128

Zigner, let it go. Lada Gaga there doesn't have a clue and is displaying her ignorance for the world to see.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">