• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT cigarette tax bill for on-line purchases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

It's especially hard to prove them wrong when they are not wrong. You can argue all the "might" you want with regard to the accuracy, but in this case they have:

1. The right to tax the purchase of cigarettes
2. A preponderance of evidence to show you made untaxed purchases shipped into the state.

You'll never win that.

It's especially hard to prove them wrong when they are not wrong. You can argue all the "might" you want with regard to the accuracy, but in this case they have:

1. The right to tax the purchase of cigarettes
2. A preponderance of evidence to show you made untaxed purchases shipped into the state.

You'll never win that.
What evidence -- that's my point. The OP has no idea what evidence there is -- I suggested that he just demand that they show him the evidence.

You don't think that they make mistakes either?

If we knew the evidence then we could give more definitive answers -- my view is to fight until the evidence would support a settlement.

FlyingRon

They have records from the shipper. That's all they need. This isn't a beyond a reasonable doubt type thing, it's only to the preponderance level.

Listen to Ldij. This person is one of the best resources on taxation on this forum. Musicman appears to be nearly universally wrong in all of his assertions.

davew128

What evidence -- that's my point. The OP has no idea what evidence there is -- I suggested that he just demand that they show him the evidence.
You ever done a sales & use tax audit? There's no NEED to "demand" it. A simple request would do. I've dealt with sales & use tax auditors from the State of Connecticut. They can be a bunch of hardasses, but they're also VERY good at what they do and they have the law on their side. CT has some very draconian laws in this area, but at least in this instance, its in line with most every other state.

Bottom line Musicdoll, you're playing in the big leagues now. So go back and sit on the bench where you belong.

davew128

If they do, how is this admissible evidence? Could be a business record exception but the state has no one to testify to lay the foundation for them as a business record.
This is an administrative agency audit not a court proceeding. There are no rules of evidence. They have evidence. Unless it becomes a criminal proceeding, that is all that matters. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">