• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT cigarette tax bill for on-line purchases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbond44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Connecticut

I just got hit with $1316 Connecticut DRS tax bill for cigarettes purchased on-line back in 2008. Can anybody adivce if there is any way to get out of this or at least reduce this bill? We are low income family, and there is no way we can come up with $1316. I called DRS, but they refused to help me out.

If I do not pay this, what can DRS do to me? Can they arrest my bank account or go after my wages?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
--
George

anteater

Yeah, states are going after smoke taxes hard. And they have a right to levy the tax. If the Dept. of Revenue won't work with you, well.. you owe them and will have to find a way to pay.

Can they arrest my bank account or go after my wages?
Bank accounts are not subject to arrest. But I would guess that they can levy any accounts and garnish your wages.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Quit smoking and use the savings to pay down the tax bill. It's a win-win!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Connecticut

I just got hit with $1316 Connecticut DRS tax bill for cigarettes purchased on-line back in 2008. Can anybody adivce if there is any way to get out of this or at least reduce this bill? We are low income family, and there is no way we can come up with $1316. I called DRS, but they refused to help me out.

If I do not pay this, what can DRS do to me? Can they arrest my bank account or go after my wages?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
--
George
What proof do they have that you owe anything ?

justalayman

What proof do they have that you owe anything ?
I suspect it is due to this requirement (of the Jenkins Act):

Under Federal law, cigarette vendors who sell and ship cigarettes into another State to anyone other than a licensed distributor must report to the State (1) the name and address of the person(s) to whom cigarettes shipments were made, (2) the brands of cigarettes shipped, and (3) the quantities of cigarettes shipped. (Jenkins Act 15 U.S.C. 375 – 378)
the folks that shipped them don't want to have to pay the taxes so they willingly report as required by law.

got any other questions MM?

LdiJ

Please avoid Mr. Red Herring.
Actually that was a valid question, because sometimes the evidence has proven to be iffy. However, it mostly comes from the states forcing online sellers to turn over their customer lists.

Tidbit of Factola

Currently, one cannot purchase cigarettes via a credit card with an online purchase.

The post office will not deliver cigarettes anymore.

And CT has one of the nation's highest cigarette tax.

Actually that was a valid question, because sometimes the evidence has proven to be iffy. However, it mostly comes from the states forcing online sellers to turn over their customer lists.
from the act (http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C10A.txt):

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

The fact that any person ships or delivers for shipment any
cigarettes shall, if such shipment is into a State in which such
person has filed a statement with the tobacco tax administrator
under subsection (a)(1) of this section, be presumptive evidence
(1) that such cigarettes were sold, or transferred for profit, by
such person, and (2) that such sale or transfer was to other than a
distributor licensed by or located in such State.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

There records are not sufficient evidence of who purchased the tobacco; only that it was sold and not to a distributor.

The statement to the administrator will not be admissible w/o testimony from the company who produced the document.

Hence my query to the OP: what proof have they presented you with regarding the tax due? Just their word?

Its up to the OP if they wish to demand proof or not; the CT IRS will not lower the amount.

Smoking & drinking are legal ; I have no anti-smoking garbage to spew.

These records may be available under a FOIA request .. or the agency may not object to their discovery via a FOIA request.

And this assumes a US seller; with an outside-the-US seller now what?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
from the act (http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C10A.txt):

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

The fact that any person ships or delivers for shipment any
cigarettes shall, if such shipment is into a State in which such
person has filed a statement with the tobacco tax administrator
under subsection (a)(1) of this section, be presumptive evidence
(1) that such cigarettes were sold, or transferred for profit, by
such person, and (2) that such sale or transfer was to other than a
distributor licensed by or located in such State.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

There records are not sufficient evidence of who purchased the tobacco; only that it was sold and not to a distributor.

The statement to the administrator will not be admissible w/o testimony from the company who produced the document.

Hence my query to the OP: what proof have they presented you with regarding the tax due? Just their word?

Its up to the OP if they wish to demand proof or not; the CT IRS will not lower the amount.

Smoking & drinking are legal ; I have no anti-smoking garbage to spew.

These records may be available under a FOIA request .. or the agency may not object to their discovery via a FOIA request.

And this assumes a US seller; with an outside-the-US seller now what?
AGAIN - please ignore Mr. Red Herring. :rolleyes:

AGAIN - please ignore Mr. Red Herring. :rolleyes:
Oh I see, reference a law; I post it; & then you post more of this garbage.

Whats wrong with asking for what proof they have. From 2008??? Who is to say that their records are correct, YOU? I don't think so.

Here, pay me $15,000 ... I'll expect the check shortly? Alrighty then!

You seem to be pretty free with other peoples' money Zipner.

Sorry - I was just making sure our OP was clear on WHO was posting the garbage.

(Since I know you can't comprehend, it was YOU)
YOU are the one arguing against asking the agency to show any proof whatsoever that the bill is correct.

Zitner, you best leave this examination to the big boys .. go play with your blocks in the corner now.

If you cannot play nice, you won't be able to play at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">