• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Current W-2 Form- Marital Status is wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soapygirl

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi,

My husband's company failed to change his marital status from single to married after we were married in October of 2007. We have yet to file our taxes. How can we get the correction made? Can't his company simply issue him a new W-2 with the correct marital status?

If a correction isn't possible, how does this affect our filing as my W-2 reads as married and his will read as single?

Thanks!

tranquility

Any status listed on the W-2 is not sent to the IRS, but is additional information supplied to you. Don't worry about it in the least beyond making sure you have the proper amount withheld for this year. You can change your status with a W-4 to your employer. I don't recommend you doing this until you finish your taxes to see how you came out last year. Early in a marriage, it's hard to save money and getting something back is a good thing--even though it was a tax-free loan to the government.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi,

My husband's company failed to change his marital status from single to married after we were married in October of 2007. We have yet to file our taxes. How can we get the correction made? Can't his company simply issue him a new W-2 with the correct marital status?

If a correction isn't possible, how does this affect our filing as my W-2 reads as married and his will read as single?

Thanks!
I agree with Tranq 100%. However, I will add that the W4 that is filed with an employer is merely an estimate/deposit towards the year's taxes. It has to do with how much tax is withheld, but otherwise its kind of irrelevant in many circumstances.

Both of you could have remained at "single" with your employers, and it would have had no effect whatsoever on your actual joint tax return, other than determining how much you would either get back as a refund, or would owe.

snchiz8

Same situation as above

Hi,

I'm in the same situation. So does having the wrong marital status on your w-2 mean that your company witheld taxes correctly or incorrectly?

We made an attempt to do our taxes but didn't submit yet. We ended up owing a lot. Did it have anything to do with having the wrong marital status? If so, how do we go about changing it? My husband put single instead of married and he is no longer with the company.

LdiJ

Hi,

I'm in the same situation. So does having the wrong marital status on your w-2 mean that your company witheld taxes correctly or incorrectly?

We made an attempt to do our taxes but didn't submit yet. We ended up owing a lot. Did it have anything to do with having the wrong marital status? If so, how do we go about changing it? My husband put single instead of married and he is no longer with the company.
No, it doesn't mean that the company did anything wrong. It could mean that the employee goofed when filling out their w4. Single usually means that more tax is withheld, but if your husband claimed too many exemptions, that could explain why you owe alot.

VeronicaLodge

if you marry or divorce during the year, your employer isnt going to automatically change your w-4 for you, you have to change it to tell your employer what to withhold for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">