• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Dispute & Child Tax Credit Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icebrc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The ruling was in Missouri (I reside in Indiana now, but any legal issue concerning the kids is under Missouri jurisdiction).

The IRS recently reviewed the fact that myself and the mother of my children claimed my daughter on our 2009 tax return.

Here is the court history:
We divorced in 2006. In the divorce I retained full legal & physical custody. We agreed to share the tax claim on our children in the following manner: She would claim our son and I would claim our daughter.
The court document reads simply: The petitioner shall claim daughter on 2005 and future tax returns (paraphrased). Likewise, it said the same for our son for my ex-wife.

In 2007, I moved to Indiana for employment. This caused a custody dispute. The result was that we now have joint legal & physical custody, but they maintain their residency in Missouri and therefore their mother is now the custodial parent.

On the 2007 tax returns she claimed my daughter and I called the IRS to resolve the issue. I explained exactly what I had previous said. The lady asked me if the custody dispute had revisited the issue in any way or if the original document had any conditions attached to the claim. I replied no to both issues.
She told me to photocopy the relevant pages and the signature page to send in with my returns.

About 8 weeks later I received my tax return showing that I had received the tax credit.
In 2008 I repeated the previous procedure and was granted the claim again.
In 2009, again, I did the same and was granted the claim.

In the fall of 2010, the IRS send me a letter asking for all court documents & any relevant documents regarding the claims. Apparently we had both been claiming.

I mailed the documents and called the IRS. The IRS could not give me any information (since they had not received/reviewed the documents yet), but I told them what I had been doing and how this has been going on for 2007, 2008 and 2009. I asked if I should expect an investigation into the other two years, but they could not confirm.

Yesterday I received the judgment of the IRS.
Their reply:
"Your last court statement states joint or shared custody and this is subject to the tie breaker rules in which first it is relationship, residence and income. We are looking at the residence portion at this point. For your school records or medical records please show as much residence as possible for the year of 2009 for the child by the attendance dates.

We are still disallowing the child tax credit and dependent exemptions because we need more documentation.

To qualify for your dependent exemptions and child tax credit we need documentation that you showed residence and support for your qualifying dependents for more than six months but up to a year in 2009. We need school records, medical records, or immunization records that show your name, address along with the child's name and dates attended for the year of 2009. Also, we need a complete mortgage/lease agreement that shows yoru overall support with the payment amount."

They are now asking for the $1987.00 that was given to me in my tax refund check.

Do I have a case in which I should obtain a lawyer to speak on my behave or did the custody dispute change the original ruling (by default) and have been misled by the IRS personnel I spoke to in previous years?

Thank you for your time reading my situation and am thankful to any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'm not a lawyer, but owned a tax consulting firm. So take what I say for what it's worth.

First, for $1987, you will spend that much or more with an attorney. So, the risk is yours.

Second, provide the judgment. If the judgment says you get one child and the ex gets the other child as an exemption and despite the fact that custody has changed, it appears that the terms of the tax ramifications have not.

Third, remember too, the IRS is looking at which party can pay the $1987- who can they collect from.

I'd call them on it and worst case scenario, negotiate a settlement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not a lawyer, but owned a tax consulting firm. So take what I say for what it's worth.

First, for $1987, you will spend that much or more with an attorney. So, the risk is yours.

Second, provide the judgment. If the judgment says you get one child and the ex gets the other child as an exemption and despite the fact that custody has changed, it appears that the terms of the tax ramifications have not.

Third, remember too, the IRS is looking at which party can pay the $1987- who can they collect from.

I'm glad you "owned" a tax consulting firm. It's obvious why, with your utter lack of knowledge regarding taxes, you no longer own it.

I'm glad you "owned" a tax consulting firm. It's obvious why, with your utter lack of knowledge regarding taxes, you no longer own it.
That was a very productive post. The OP really got some good advice there. Thanks.

And there are about $26 million reasons why I don't own it anymore. LOLLOL

Yeah, I lost about $3k today, but so far up $15k this week (and that's my trading account). LOLOLOLOL

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The ruling was in Missouri (I reside in Indiana now, but any legal issue concerning the kids is under Missouri jurisdiction).

The IRS recently reviewed the fact that myself and the mother of my children claimed my daughter on our 2009 tax return.

Here is the court history:
We divorced in 2006. In the divorce I retained full legal & physical custody. We agreed to share the tax claim on our children in the following manner: She would claim our son and I would claim our daughter.
The court document reads simply: The petitioner shall claim daughter on 2005 and future tax returns (paraphrased). Likewise, it said the same for our son for my ex-wife.

In 2007, I moved to Indiana for employment. This caused a custody dispute. The result was that we now have joint legal & physical custody, but they maintain their residency in Missouri and therefore their mother is now the custodial parent.

On the 2007 tax returns she claimed my daughter and I called the IRS to resolve the issue. I explained exactly what I had previous said. The lady asked me if the custody dispute had revisited the issue in any way or if the original document had any conditions attached to the claim. I replied no to both issues.
She told me to photocopy the relevant pages and the signature page to send in with my returns.

About 8 weeks later I received my tax return showing that I had received the tax credit.
In 2008 I repeated the previous procedure and was granted the claim again.
In 2009, again, I did the same and was granted the claim.

In the fall of 2010, the IRS send me a letter asking for all court documents & any relevant documents regarding the claims. Apparently we had both been claiming.

I mailed the documents and called the IRS. The IRS could not give me any information (since they had not received/reviewed the documents yet), but I told them what I had been doing and how this has been going on for 2007, 2008 and 2009. I asked if I should expect an investigation into the other two years, but they could not confirm.

Yesterday I received the judgment of the IRS.
Their reply:
"Your last court statement states joint or shared custody and this is subject to the tie breaker rules in which first it is relationship, residence and income. We are looking at the residence portion at this point. For your school records or medical records please show as much residence as possible for the year of 2009 for the child by the attendance dates.

We are still disallowing the child tax credit and dependent exemptions because we need more documentation.

To qualify for your dependent exemptions and child tax credit we need documentation that you showed residence and support for your qualifying dependents for more than six months but up to a year in 2009. We need school records, medical records, or immunization records that show your name, address along with the child's name and dates attended for the year of 2009. Also, we need a complete mortgage/lease agreement that shows yoru overall support with the payment amount."

They are now asking for the $1987.00 that was given to me in my tax refund check.

Do I have a case in which I should obtain a lawyer to speak on my behave or did the custody dispute change the original ruling (by default) and have been misled by the IRS personnel I spoke to in previous years?

Thank you for your time reading my situation and am thankful to any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ok, there are two issues here:

1) Federal tax law which is not subject to state court orders.

2) State court orders.

You are going to lose on this issue for federal tax purposes and you are going to have to pay back the IRS. The children reside with mom and your court orders are not sufficient to be a substitute for form 8332.

However, that does not mean that mom is not in contempt of the court orders. She may possibly be in contempt of the court orders. Therefore, your remedy would be to file for contempt against mom in state court. When you do that, you need to have form 8332 prepared and with you in court so that you can ask the judge to order her to sign it on the spot.

Please note that because the children do not live with you more than 6 months of the year, you are never eligible to claim earned income credit or daycare credits. You are eligible to take the child's exemption and the child tax credit.

LdiJ

Please do not respond to posts on the tax forum. Most of the posters here are current tax professionals with many years of experience. Your answer is substantially incorrect.

icebrc

Ok, there are two issues here:

1) Federal tax law which is not subject to state court orders.

2) State court orders.

You are going to lose on this issue for federal tax purposes and you are going to have to pay back the IRS. The children reside with mom and your court orders are not sufficient to be a substitute for form 8332.

However, that does not mean that mom is not in contempt of the court orders. She may possibly be in contempt of the court orders. Therefore, your remedy would be to file for contempt against mom in state court. When you do that, you need to have form 8332 prepared and with you in court so that you can ask the judge to order her to sign it on the spot.

Please note that because the children do not live with you more than 6 months of the year, you are never eligible to claim earned income credit or daycare credits. You are eligible to take the child's exemption and the child tax credit.
Thank you so much for your clear explanation. I only wish my divorce lawyer or the IRS rep I spoke to in 2007 would have pointed these details out.
I should only assume that the refund from 2007 & 2008 will eventually come.

We (my ex and I) have not gotten along very well over the years until recently. As much as it pains me to let her win this one, it is clear that I was the one misled. Pushing contempt of court on her is not worth the cost of another round of court and the bickering that would shortly follow.

Such is life.
Thanks again. Guess I'll call up the IRS tomorrow to arrange repayment.

LdiJ

Thank you so much for your clear explanation. I only wish my divorce lawyer or the IRS rep I spoke to in 2007 would have pointed these details out.
I should only assume that the refund from 2007 & 2008 will eventually come.
Most divorce lawyers honestly don't understand the law regarding federal tax.

We (my ex and I) have not gotten along very well over the years until recently. As much as it pains me to let her win this one, it is clear that I was the one misled. Pushing contempt of court on her is not worth the cost of another round of court and the bickering that would shortly follow.

Such is life.
Thanks again. Guess I'll call up the IRS tomorrow to arrange repayment.
If you don't force her to sign form 8332 then this will be a permanent problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">