• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death and Property tax wite off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onthepipe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
My Dad died in June 2010 and I understand the rules regarding filing an estate return after my father's death. The estate paid the property taxes on the home(s) for calendar year 2010 in January 2011 (typical). Does the estate claim the property tax deduction on it's return or can it be claimed on my Dad's 2010 tax return? There are also two rental proprties for which tax was also paid. Same rules apply here? I could really use the deduction on my Dad's return.

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
My Dad died in June 2010 and I understand the rules regarding filing an estate return after my father's death. The estate paid the property taxes on the home(s) for calendar year 2010 in January 2011 (typical). Does the estate claim the property tax deduction on it's return or can it be claimed on my Dad's 2010 tax return? There are also two rental proprties for which tax was also paid. Same rules apply here? I could really use the deduction on my Dad's return.
He doesn't get it for two reasons. One, HE didn't pay it and two, it was paid in 2011....:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">