• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majomom1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I settled a couple of bills with creditors and they have sent me a 1099-C. Under what circumstance would an "exculsion" apply so that I did not have to report this on my taxes?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I settled a couple of bills with creditors and they have sent me a 1099-C. Under what circumstance would an "exculsion" apply so that I did not have to report this on my taxes?
Bankruptcy or insolvency.

To calculate insolvency total all of your debts before the debts were settled, and total all of your assets. If the debts are greater than the assets you are insolvent by the amount that is greater than the assets. That would be the maximum amount of cancelled debt you could exclude from income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">