• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased Father's checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stufam

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California

When my Father passed away in 2004, all he had to his name were some uncashed SSI checks. I turned them in to Social Security and they said that it was part of his estate and that I would receive them. I did get a check from them for about $5,880. Do I have to pay any federal or state tax on that? If it is inheritance, and that is all that I received from him, would it be exempt from taxes, even though I did receive a form SSA-1099 from Social Security listing it as a benefit to me? Did S.S do the right thing by putting me on that form?

Snipes5

Check whose SSN is on that form. If it's yours, you have to report it. If it's his, you don't.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">