• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased mother owes taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

captain12

What is the name of your state?california

My mother who just passed was in a nursing home for the last 5 years. I had POA to handle her finances and took out money from her annuity to pay help pay her medical bills because Medicare refused to pay after a while because she wasnt making any progress. When her money ran out 2 years ago I helped her pay her bills from my own salary. She had no money in her estate when she died, but now owes taxes. Should I send irs a copy of death certificate or do they automatically know she is deceased? Do I have to file her taxes? Will they come after me for her tax money? Thankyou.

S

seniorjudge

captain12 said:

My mother who just passed was in a nursing home for the last 5 years. I had POA to handle her finances and took out money from her annuity to pay help pay her medical bills because Medicare refused to pay after a while because she wasnt making any progress. When her money ran out 2 years ago I helped her pay her bills from my own salary. She had no money in her estate when she died, but now owes taxes. Should I send irs a copy of death certificate or do they automatically know she is deceased? Do I have to file her taxes? Will they come after me for her tax money? Thankyou.
I am assuming she has no assets.

File a return showing she is deceased and send a copy of the death certificate in; that should get them off your back.

You are not liable for someone else's taxes.

LdiJ

captain12 said:

You may be mistaken that she owes taxes for 2004. Double check it with a professional. If her money ran out two years ago and her only income in 2004 was Social Security benefits then it would not be necessary to file a tax return for her....she would owe no tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">