• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deductibility of Home Loan Interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keniz138

What is the name of your state?
Rhode Island

From what I understand, all types of home loan interest are deductible, correct?

I ask b/c I am switching from a HELOC (which was deductible) to a 30/15 Home Equity Loan. Assuming interest on that will be deductible as well.

Thanks

Snipes5

Not "all" interest, but "most".

If your home acquisition debt is less than $1m, all interest will be deductible on an original loan.

On either a Home Equity or a HELOC, interest is deductible on up to $100,000 of Home Equity debt, provided that the debt does not exceed the amount of the original loan, plus improvements.

So if you have a loan that is >100%, some of the interest on it may not be deductible.

Snipes

keniz138

Well, my original loan was an 80/20 set up. 260,000 on a 7/1 ARM and 65,000 on a HELOC. I am currently refinancing the HELOC into a 30/15 fixed rate laon. All said, at the beginning my total loan amount was 325,000. After a year of payments on the big mortgage and the closing costs involved in this refi, my total amount of debt will be approximately 322000.

So, from what I can tell, all interest should be deductible, yes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">