• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deducting state taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keniz138

What is the name of your state?
Rhode Island

My understanding is that on federal form 1040, schedule A, my wife and I are allowed to deduct from our taxable income state taxes withheld rom our pay during the year....is this correct?

Also, I paid approx $900.00 on my state return last year...can this be deducted as well? (Problem here is that i cant find last years return...but i can get a copy of the check...is this sufficient in terms of back up....or can i get copy from state?)

Also, I see that TDI pmts are deductible, is this so?

Snipes5

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

If TDI is the RI version of Workman's Comp insurance, then yes, you can deduct that also, under "other" taxes on Schedule A.

Snipes, who used to live in RI.

keniz138

sweet, thought it was too good to be true...lol

anyway, what do you think about not having last year's return readilly available...should i go out of my way to get a copy from state, or just make sure i have the check as backup?

Snipes5

You can probably go to the state tax office, or call them and get a printout of what they have on file for last year. That would be best.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">