• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deduction on Donation of Real Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lipepe

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MD

My mother and I own a house as joint tenants with her as the primary owner (in her SSN). We want to donation it to a religious organization. Since my mother can't use the deduction, can I use all of the deduction, which will have to carry over in subsequent years.

abezon

Have mom quitclaim the house to you, then you donate it. Mom will have to file a gift tax return.

lipepe

Deductin on Donation of Real Property

Thanks for the advice of quitclaim. Does filing a gift tax return involve paying some kind of tax? If so, on what basis is the amount assessed by IRS? Thanks again, in advance.

lipepe

abezon

Unless mom's estate is likely to be over $1.3M, filing the return will have no effect on her estate taxes. She won't pay gift taxes on the quitclaim to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">