• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deductions for lodging at a charity event?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dennis_in_LA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am going to a two day bike ride (National MS Socitey BIKE TOUR - a 501(c)(3) charity) from San Francisco to Sonoma and I will be renting a house for my team and myself. Can I deduct the cost of the house for that night? Also, if I can persuade the owner of the house to give me a discount, can he deduct that amount?

tranquility

I would say no. While volunteer expenses are deductible, they must be related to the charity and be reasonable and not for pleasure. You have to make the case your riding is a "volunteer" activity, it is reasonable to that activity a house needs to be rented and that your riding is a service to the charity and not for pleasure.

Possible? Maybe. I'd bet it would not fly on the OPs facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">