• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delinquent Tax Sale in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fickey

A little over three years ago I purchased ten acres of land ($16,500) in southern Illinois. According to the terms of the agreement, I was supposed to assume responsibility for the previous year's taxes. I assumed that was taken care of in the closing but it wasn't. For the last three years i only received the regular tax bill for that year. Then, about two months ago, i get a notice from the county that my property has been sold for delinquent taxes. I called them and one person said the notice was only a warning. Since i live out of state, I sent my mother to pay the bill in person and she recieved an itemized reciept. They stated that in fact, a sale had occurred and I had to pay numerous costs to "buy back" my land. It cost me $360.00 in costs over a $5 past due bill that i never received any notification about. Today, I get another notice from the county stating that they accidentally left $150 in "miscellaneous" costs off the bill and that is now outstanding.

Is this normal procedure or are these people doing some shady stuff?

LdiJ

A little over three years ago I purchased ten acres of land ($16,500) in southern Illinois. According to the terms of the agreement, I was supposed to assume responsibility for the previous year's taxes. I assumed that was taken care of in the closing but it wasn't. For the last three years i only received the regular tax bill for that year. Then, about two months ago, i get a notice from the county that my property has been sold for delinquent taxes. I called them and one person said the notice was only a warning. Since i live out of state, I sent my mother to pay the bill in person and she recieved an itemized reciept. They stated that in fact, a sale had occurred and I had to pay numerous costs to "buy back" my land. It cost me $360.00 in costs over a $5 past due bill that i never received any notification about. Today, I get another notice from the county stating that they accidentally left $150 in "miscellaneous" costs off the bill and that is now outstanding.

Is this normal procedure or are these people doing some shady stuff?
I doubt if any "shady" is going on. The amounts of money are too small to hint at anything shady.

Fickey

I probably shouldn't have used the word "shady," but rather if what they did was legal. Or, even if it is legal, if it is being heavyhanded. I'm dealing with elected officials, so even if what they did was legal, if it considered particularly unfair or inept, it will be a good topic to raise during elections.

As means of an update, i spoke with a lawyer today. He said that if they issued a certificate of redemption at the time of the first payment, then any additional demands for money may be contested. I checked my records and they did issue the certificate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">