• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependent - elderly in nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rosacombs

What is the name of your state? TX
I was the legal POA/guardian/caretaker for my sick aunt last year. Due to the seriousness of her illness, she was placed in a nursing home for the last few months of her life. I paid the nursing home costs (insurance won't pay) out of a joint bank account that we had set up years earlier. The account is now legally mine (since her death).

Do I claim her as a dependent and deduct the thousands I paid for her care under myself?
or
Do I get an estate tax ID and deduct under her estate?
There are no outstanding debts with her estate and the house was sold under a trust. No other items are pending other than her taxes which I don't have to file since she gets such a small return.

Thoughts?

abezon

See an estate tax preparer. Were you using her money from the joint account to pay the bills or was it her money? Can you prove it? You might be able to claim aunt as a dependent, if you paid over 1/2 her support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">