• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgtbeegee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

My daughter has been living with her Godmother in Louisiana for the past 6yrs. I live in Tx and my daughters mother lives in Va. For some reason she felt the need to claim my daughter as a dependent on her taxes even though in the past 6yrs she does not provide any kind of monthly financial support to her. My daughters Godmother (lets call her Mrs. B) also filed my daughter as a dependent which I think is right. Is it legal for my daughters mother to do this? Mrs B has documentation to prove that the child has been with her for this time period. My daughters mother has done this mulitple times in the past 6yrs and now Mrs B is being auditted. What should I do to help Mrs B?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

My daughter has been living with her Godmother in Louisiana for the past 6yrs. I live in Tx and my daughters mother lives in Va. For some reason she felt the need to claim my daughter as a dependent on her taxes even though in the past 6yrs she does not provide any kind of monthly financial support to her. My daughters Godmother (lets call her Mrs. B) also filed my daughter as a dependent which I think is right. Is it legal for my daughters mother to do this? Mrs B has documentation to prove that the child has been with her for this time period. My daughters mother has done this mulitple times in the past 6yrs and now Mrs B is being auditted. What should I do to help Mrs B?
Mrs B needs to prove that the child lives with her, full time and is supported by her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">