• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Depreciation on the sale of rental property...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuda_tim

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I bought a house in PA for my parents in 1978. I also lived in the house for several years. After moving in 1980, I considered the home as rental property and began using Schedule E and I collected rent from them (which basically paid the mortgage). I also paid for and deducted all expenses to the property (new furnance, etc). I also listed the depreciation on Schedule E. My parents have since died, and I no longer consider it a rental property. I'm preparing to sell it. Do I need to review all of my tax returns since 1978 to determine the dollar amount of depreciation and hence determine my gain on the house? Or is there an easier way? I also read that there were changes to the tax laws in 1987 that impact this gain. Some Pubs say it must be considered ordinary income and others say it is considered capital gain. This home was bought before 1987.

Can anyone give me a straight answer on how to handle this?

Thanks,
Tim...

Snipes5

Yes. Take copies of all your tax returns where you claimed it as a rental, and bring it to a tax professional.

Depreciation taken after a certain date must be recaptured as ordinary income. I believe that date is May, 1987, or something close to it.

I am unsure of the treatment of pre 1987 depreciation taken.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">