• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dept of Revenue Mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linga

What is the name of your state (GA)

Wow, a mistake by the GA Dept of Revenue is going to cost me. I filed my 2010 taxes and my refund is supposed to be $350. Three days ago they deposited $400. I didn't notice the error and spent the money.

So they reverses the payment of $400 and now Wells Fargo has tacked on their bank fee of $35 and I'm -$435 in the hole. I have a direct deposit coming in on tomorrow that is less than that and I will be totally broke until they straightend out their error. I also had items that I needed to pay for.

My question is what can I do? It was a mistake by the GA Dept of Revenue that is causing me financial hardship and bank fees. Can I sue the state agency? It wasn't my fault they made a mistake into my account.

FlyingRon

In a word: NO.
You can try talking to your branch manager with the bank with your story. They have power to reverse the overdraft charges.

linga

In a word: NO.
You can try talking to your branch manager with the bank with your story. They have power to reverse the overdraft charges.
Already done that. They said they will reverse the charges if the state has made a mistake. The problem is not with the bank--its the GA Dept of Revenue who obviously has a worker that has pressed a wrong button or something. What can I do about that? Attorney General, maybe?

FlyingRon

You can't do anything about it. They made a mistake, they corrected it. It is not their fault you spent the money that wasn't yours. You'll get nowhere, I guarantee.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can't do anything about it. They made a mistake, they corrected it. It is not their fault you spent the money that wasn't yours. You'll get nowhere, I guarantee.
In all fairness, $350 of the money WAS the OP's...
The other $50...OP should have known better

linga

So, what you are saying is that when agencies or individuals make a mistake and they correct it--even though you have financial hardship from the mistake--there is nothing you can do about it? No harm no foul? I don't think that is how it done in USA..there would be no lawsuits.

If this was an individual or corporation and not a state government agency, I think your answer might be different. People are scared of goverment agencies and they think they will get nowhere when they sue them.

Last edited:

linga

In all fairness, $350 of the money WAS the OP's...
The other $50...OP should have known better
True. The $50 was my mistake. I admit. But someone has made a mistake at the agency and it has my account overdrawn. So, they need to put the $350 in there and compensate me for the $35 overdrawn because I would have not been overdrawn if not for their mistake. Nor, would I miss payments with the money that I now cannot access because of their mistake.

linga

Updated: WOW! Huge state error affecting thousands!

I just left the site for TurboTax and they said that it was a HUGE GA state error that has affected many people so we should hear about it pretty soon on the news.

The $50 extra was not an error it was a repair for a glitch in the tax software and the bank fees will be refunded within 7-10 days.

Wonder if there will be a class action now.

FlyingRon

True. The $50 was my mistake. I admit. But someone has made a mistake at the agency and it has my account overdrawn. So, they need to put the $350 in there and compensate me for the $35 overdrawn because I would have not been overdrawn if not for their mistake. Nor, would I miss payments with the money that I now cannot access because of their mistake.
Oops, I misunderstood, I thought they only took back the overage.

LdiJ

Here is a link to an Atlanta news story about it if anyone is interested.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/26613082/detail.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">