• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Digital Goods - Cost of Goods Sold calculation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdakota

Hello,

I am a Sole-Proprietor. I resell digital goods via internet (i.e. books, music etc). My suppliers provide files for distribution and I put it on a server for sell. I pay suppliers 50% from sales for the items after the items are sold. I am confused on how to figure the expenses on Schedule C - "Cost Of Goods Sold". These items are non-inventory items and I actually do not buy the items (but accumulate the amount and pay later). I think to do the following on the Schedule C (Cost Of Goods Sold):

-----------------------------------------------
Inventory at beginning of year - 0
Purchases less cost of items withdrawn for personal use - The total amount paid to suppliers
Cost of labor - 0
Materials and supplies - 0
Other costs - 0
Inventory at end of year - 0

Is this way correct? Please advice. Thanks you!What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

Hello,

I am a Sole-Proprietor. I resell digital goods via internet (i.e. books, music etc). My suppliers provide files for distribution and I put it on a server for sell. I pay suppliers 50% from sales for the items after the items are sold. I am confused on how to figure the expenses on Schedule C - "Cost Of Goods Sold". These items are non-inventory items and I actually do not buy the items (but accumulate the amount and pay later). I think to do the following on the Schedule C (Cost Of Goods Sold):

Inventory at beginning of year - 0
Purchases less cost of items withdrawn for personal use - The total amount paid to suppliers
Cost of labor - 0
Materials and supplies - 0
Other costs - 0
Inventory at end of year - 0

Is this way correct? Please advice. Thanks you!What is the name of your state?
You did that exactly right.

mdakota

Thank you LdiJ for your reply very much!!!!!! It helps me!!!

Just one additional question. Because of these items are non-inventory items I am also confused on the line "Method(s) used to value closing inventory". Should I check "Cost", "Lower of cost or market" or "Other". Can I leave it blank?

Again, thank you ;-)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">