• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distribution from IRA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artbuc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am 62. I have a traditional IRA which was funded by a direct rollover of a 401(k) after I retired. At the time of rollover, 20% was after-tax and 80% before-tax. Today it is 15% after-tax. As I understand it, the after-tax and before-tax funds are now fully fungible and I am not allowed to withdraw only after-tax funds. My understanding is that a percentage of any withdrawal will be taxable and that percentage is the same as the percentage of taxable funds in the IRA which is 85% in my case.

Is my understanding correct? Thanks.

tranquility

While I'm uncertain as to the "traditional" nomenclature, you are correct. Your basis will be over your total amount in all IRAs to get a fraction which will be excluded from being taxed. You don't get to choose which funds to draw from regarding taxability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">