• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Filing in WI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

colobus

State: Wisconsin
Briefly...We recently filed for divorce (Oct, 2005). May we file married but separate and not claim 1/2 of the other's income? I've been told yes by my accountant, but no by an attorney (but that I should double check with the tax attorney). We have lived apart since July, 2005.
Thank you in advance for your help.

LdiJ

colobus said:
State: Wisconsin
Briefly...We recently filed for divorce (Oct, 2005). May we file married but separate and not claim 1/2 of the other's income? I've been told yes by my accountant, but no by an attorney (but that I should double check with the tax attorney). We have lived apart since July, 2005.
Thank you in advance for your help.
I would think that on the issue of taxes, its likely that an accountant's advice is going to be more accurate than an attorney's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">