• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce mortgage interest deduction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tray88

What is the name of your state? PA

This is a tax question:

I am currently in a divorce and am waiting the final decree. Since my separation, my girlfriend bought the family home to save it from foreclosure and settle Equitable Distribution. I have been making all the payments. My girlfriend just received her mortgage interest statement and I paid over $18K in interest in her name. She has little to no income and her claiming it would be a total waste. Is there a way I can claim the interest deduction on my taxes as I make all the income and paid all the interest? Can she file something to release the deduction to me?

Thanks in Advance,

T.

tray88

Interest deduction for non-homeowner.

What is the name of your state? PA
This is a tax question:
I am currently in a divorce and am waiting the final decree. Since my separation, my girlfriend bought the family home to save it from foreclosure and settle Equitable Distribution. My name is on niether the deed or the loan since I have horrible credit. However, I have been making all the payments. My girlfriend just received her mortgage interest statement and I paid over $18K in interest in her name. She has little to no income and her claiming it would be a total waste. Is there a way I can claim the interest deduction on my taxes as I make all the income and paid all the interest? Can she file something to release the deduction to me?

Thanks in Advance,

T.[/QUOTE]

Snipes5

Provided you live there, she can execute a notarized statement to the effect that you made the payments.

Snipes

tray88

Interest deduction for non-homeowner

Snipes,

Can you direct me to the tax law that makes this possible? I have two persons saying I can deduct the interest and one who insists that I can't citing publication 21 of the tax law. The other person is still working on getting me the information on how to deduct this interest.

T.

tray88

The CPA at a local H. & R. Block found a case instance where the non-owner was able to create a promisory note for the full amount of the Mortgage to include principal, interest , taxes and any other payments that the original motgagee would be required to pay monthly. It was challenged by the IRS and went to tax court where it was upheld. I do not have the exact case number or any information such as that yet, but I will post it once my taxes are filed this Thursday including the mortgage interest deductions!

What an outstandidng job. I searched for days and found nothing.

My apologies snipes. You were right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">