• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to claim a dependant deduction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dsparks99

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am a divorced, non-custodial parent.

This year is my year to use the dependant deduction for our child. We alternate every other year on who uses the deduction.

Whether I use claim the dependant deduction or not this year, the tax amount to be refunded to me does not change. This is due to net operating losses in a business and other issues for the year.

My question is: Can my ex. use the dependant deduction as long as I do not use it?

If my ex. uses the deduction, it will increase the refund they get substantially.

Thanks...

ENASNI

Gee

I an not a tax attorney... But I would think that would be fine.
The only time you are defrauding the government is when you both claim.

Awfully nice of you too. :D
I would like to know the answer to this too, because my ex and I have a system too, and I hope we weren't doing anything wrong. :eek:

Snipes5

Yes, the custodial parent is always entitled to claim the child, unless the CP gives the exemption to the NCP, or is ordered to do so by a court.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">