• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to report the gifts/donations as income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shackleford

What is the name of your state? Texas.

I started a ministry project, http://www.freebibleproject.com. It is not a non-profit organization, and I do not intend to make it one. Basically, I give away free Bibles to people who request it. If someone donates financially to the project, do I have to report it as income to the government?

Last edited:

tranquility

No. Since any "donation" is from disinterested generosity with no benefit gained to the giver, it is a gift. However the donation cannot be reported on the giver's tax return as a deduction and you better never imply in any way they can or it will be fraud. Also, the state may have rules regarding such matters.

shackleford

No. Since any "donation" is from disinterested generosity with no benefit gained to the giver, it is a gift. However the donation cannot be reported on the giver's tax return as a deduction and you better never imply in any way they can or it will be fraud. Also, the state may have rules regarding such matters.
I will absolutely make it clear it is not a non-profit organization. I'm trying to get fiscal sponsorship with my church, which will allow the people who donate FOR the FreeBibleProject, in the State of Texas, to donate to a non-profit organization and have tax deductibility. Thank you for the clarification.

Where should I research the state laws concerning gifts in Texas?

efflandt

Has your non-profit organization incorporated with the state and have you applied for tax-exempt status with the IRS? If not, then donations would not be tax deductable and anyone gifting you more than the annual gift limit would need to file a gift tax form with their federal income taxes (although no tax would be due unless over the unified lifetime credit).

You might try a Google search for something like "legal requirements non-profit organization".

shackleford

Has your non-profit organization incorporated with the state and have you applied for tax-exempt status with the IRS? If not, then donations would not be tax deductable and anyone gifting you more than the annual gift limit would need to file a gift tax form with their federal income taxes (although no tax would be due unless over the unified lifetime credit).

You might try a Google search for something like "legal requirements non-profit organization".
It is NOT a non-profit organization. I decided not to go that route since doing so is heavily involving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">