• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Need to File a 1099-B for a Domestic Partner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PeterAndrew

California
My domestic partner and I own some stocks together, and whenever we have a gain or loss, we apportion it equally between the two of us on our tax returns (schedule D). I've been told that the one whose tax ID is used for IRS reporting should file a 1099-B for the half of the gain/loss that is being claimed by the other, but whenever I look at the form or its instructions, it seems designed solely for professional brokers. Moreover, it would be cumbersome, if there are a number of sales, to fill one of these out for each sale. Is it sufficient to attach a note with our tax returns explaining the way the gain or loss is apportioned?

Snipes5

They probably mean Schedule B, not 1099B.

You can nominee interest to your partner on Schedule B, and presumably nominee capital gains or losses via schedule D, and attach a statement explaining what you did.

With stock transactions though, you're probably better off each having your own account and your own transactions.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">