• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to file self-employment taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keightee21

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

I worked from December through August 2004 for a consultant, who paid me hourly for my time. He did not take out taxes. We never negotiated a contract, as he would just pay me when I turned in timesheets. The IRS specifies that the EO, as the payer, has the right to control or direct only the result of the work done by an independent contractor, and not the means and methods of accomplishing the result. This consultant controlled the work I did on a daily basis. Therefore, was I really an independent contractor?

Self employment taxes apply only to business owners and independent contractors. I will file all my earnings from this consultant under the 1099 Miscellaneous, Nonemployee compensation form. Do I need to additionally file for self employment taxes even if I was not an independent contractor? How should I approach this?

Thanks so much!!

Snipes5

Approach this by letting the consultant know that you were an employee and not an independent contractor, and request a W-2.

If you get no results there, put the income from your 1099 on the wages line of your return.

Fill out form 4137 listing the wages (change the word "tips" to wages) and pay your portion of the employment taxes.

The IRS will then go collect the employer's portion from the consultant, whose name and address information you list on the form 4137.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">