• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to report out-of-country income to state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mateo87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

For a portion of 2010, I was on unemployment in Illinois. However, later in the year I moved to Mexico and started a business there. I know to report all the income (unemployment + self employment) on my federal return, but do I have to report the SE to Illinois, or just unemployment? If no, won't it throw a big red flag if my state and federal incomes are different?

pattytx

Have you cut all residential ties with Illinois, and now live permanently in Mexico? If so, when during the year did you do this?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

For a portion of 2010, I was on unemployment in Illinois. However, later in the year I moved to Mexico and started a business there. I know to report all the income (unemployment + self employment) on my federal return, but do I have to report the SE to Illinois, or just unemployment? If no, won't it throw a big red flag if my state and federal incomes are different?
You are going to be filing a part year return for IL. That is a separate form from a standard tax return for IL. You will be reporting all your income, but excluding any non-IL income from tax.

If your intent is to remain in Mexico for the long term, you may be able to exclude your Mexico earnings from federal tax as well. See a tax professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">