• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do my child need to file income tax because of SSDI?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

new2freeadvice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My child (15 y.o.) started receiving monthly SSDI benefits based on my disability. She will receive about $5000 this year. She has no other income except bank interests (<$100) from her savings. Is she require to file income tax next year?

It is my understanding any unearned income over $850 triggers the need to file. Is SSDI considered unearned income? I have also read somewhere that SSDI is considered earned income if the person receiving it is below retirement age. :confused:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My child (15 y.o.) started receiving monthly SSDI benefits based on my disability. She will receive about $5000 this year. She has no other income except bank interests (<$100) from her savings. Is she require to file income tax next year?

It is my understanding any unearned income over $850 triggers the need to file. Is SSDI considered unearned income? I have also read somewhere that SSDI is considered earned income if the person receiving it is below retirement age. :confused:
No, your child will not have to file an income tax return. If she has 850 dollars in unearned income besides the SSDI dependent benefits then she would have to file a tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">